Saturday, May 1, 2010

A early version Drop Centre in "O" scale part 7

This will be the last post in this thread as this model is finished and it will be time to move on to other projects now. I am very pleased to have won the "Best Scratch Built Loco" award at this year's Brisbane Model Train Show with this model. So to celebrate here is another photo of the finished model followed by a photo of the inscription on the trophy.




There is one thing I still have to do to this model. The 3 pole Mabuchi motors I'm using are very variable in performance. I have run into the problem of their wide speed variation from motor to motor before. I suspect this is from poor quality control during the manufacture of the permanent magnets. With the two trucks set up on my test track, one truck ran at close to twice the speed of the other one which is one of the biggest variations I have seen in a long time. The direction didn't matter. I have a good supply of these motors and one day I will have to swap motors in and out until I get a pair that run at about the same speed.

At the moment the tram runs smoothly with the faster truck trailing and tends to surge slightly the other way around. One day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment