Sunday, August 8, 2010

Advertising Car No 71 in "O" scale part 3

As the trucks for my two 4 wheelers have arrived, I decided to do some more on No 71.

I painted the model by first airbrushing the inside light grey. Then I had the difficult job of masking all the openings from the inside. I was able to do the windows using tweezers and reaching in through the doorways. The doorways were done last by feeding the masking tape in through a hole in the top of each cabin. It probably took two hours to do the masking and two minutes to airbrush the green.

I got a good match with the green and was very pleased with it. The green in all the photos I have has a bleached appearance. Sadly when I over sprayed the model with the clear coat the bleached effect disappeared. So I will have to try to recreate the effect when I weather the model later.

The photo shows my current progress. The truck isn't in place in the photo and all the glazing still has to be done followed by adding the the controls and of course a motorman.

The view through the motorman's door shows the original ten bench bulkhead complete with the original seat back which was still in place on the prototype. Above the door is the flag holder which was made from a piece of brass tube with the centre filed away. The flags will be printed on paper and glued to a piece of brass rod and will be removable.

Still a lot of work to do but I am pleased with the way it is turning out. It is a model of an unusual prototype and I hope it will create some interest when people see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment