Friday, August 21, 2009

About my modelling

Recently I decided to seriously start modelling the trams that I remember running in the streets of Brisbane. Of course nothing is available from the local hobby shop so virtually everything will have to be scratch built. I have chosen the British "O" scale (1:43) as some items are available for tramway modelling in that scale. And hopefully this blog will give me the incentive to keep going.

I have been a railway modeller for over 40 years so I'm not concerned about building body shells and the like. My favourite building material is cardboard. It is easy to cut, has no grain and once it has been sealed with shellac and painted it seems to last forever.

Years of experience tells me to tackle the hardest part first. So for my first project I shall attempt to scratch build a half dozen trolley poles. And hopefully my next few posts will show my progress. To finish up today, here is a photo of a Brisbane tram in the 1960s


This tram photographed here at the New Farm Park terminus where Brunswick Street meets the river is now at the Brisbane Tramway Museum and I have the pleasure of driving it when I am on crew.

1 comment:

  1. Great site Ken, I'm sure it will be a great help to those building my kits, well done.

    Cheers
    Greg King
    Transit Classics

    ReplyDelete