Monday, August 31, 2009

Building a "O" scale Brisbane FM Part 2



The parts
have had the flash removed and the floor has been assembled. The two sides of the motorman's bulkheads have been glued together using gel super glue and then glued into the nose shells with 5 minute epoxy. I prefer super glue for polyurethane kits but I will use two part epoxy where I need more time to align the pieces. The bulkheads needed to be sanded down to the correct size the edges bevelled to match the taper of the nose sections. Reference had to be to be made to the drawing supplied to work out how far forward they had to go. Also critical was the height of the bulkheads from the bottom of the nose castings as this determines the final position of the floor. The floor is screwed to the base of the bulkhead seats as well as the centre seats. I found it easier for me to deviate from the instructions here and I fitted all the step castings to the floor at this point. This made it easier to get the bulkhead and centre seat heights correct.

For this reason the centre seats have also been glued to the sides as I wanted a strong glued joint here as well. The rest of the seats will be glued to the sides after they have been painted.

Now I just have to wait for a suitable day so I can mask off all the areas still to be
glued and spray the rest with an etch primer. Then down to the job of painting the interior before final assembly.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ken,

    When I mask, I get the masking tape (paper kind) and grab one end in each hand (or between the fingers depending on the size) and rub vigerously on the trousers, this takes of most of the sticky bit but will still hold to the car without damaging the paint, removal is by pulling the tape slowly flat back on it'self, I have had much success with this. How about some shots of your card kits.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete