Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Trolley Pole Part 3

All the pieces went together without any problems. Well, serious ones anyway. The springs have a tendency to come off when the pole vertical.

I had to bend larger hooks on the ends of the rods that the springs anchor to than I would have liked to keep them on. It turns out the problem is my fault anyway. When I checked the tension at the trolley wheel with it at wire height, I found I had a force of 0.15 oz. This is well below the NMRA 0.3 oz to 0.5 oz recommended contact force. I figure when I shorten the springs to fix this the problem of them falling off will go away as well.

Since this photo was taken I have cut all the material for five more and started assembly. Now I know what to do they are taking me about an hour for each pole.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog and have returned to it a number of times. I want to try my hand at making poles again and would like to you use your notes as a guide. You mentioned fashioning the base from retangular stock. I have some from K&S and was wondering what the dimensions of the base were?

    Thanks
    Chris
    princestreet.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete