Sunday, January 17, 2010

A early version Drop Centre in "O" scale part 4

While I have been working on the trucks I have been starting on some of the detail on the body. The area below the driver's window is curved. I find the easiest way to do that is to make a full front which is flat. Then I add curved ribs to that and finally the curved styrene.


It's not prototypical because the curve is visible from inside the cab of the full size tram as it is only a single skin. But for a model I find my way easier and stronger and by the time I install the controller and brake handle you can't really see it. All the outside trim and the bumpers have been fitted as well. The first two photos show the before and after.

With the trucks finished I have been able to fit the cabin floors. I like the tram to "sit" properly and I don't mind if, as a result, the cabin floors are at the incorrect height. The drawings show that the drop centre floor as being 25" above the roadway although this is a bit of an iffy measurement. We have wheels at the museum that due to wear are 2" less in diameter than a new wheel and with a full load of 100 people the weight on the springs could easily increase by 8T taking the tram from 14.2T to 22.2T. So I decided to set the height at about 23" to 24".

So I cut out the two floors and mounted them on to the trucks and then eased the floors into the cabins without gluing them. With a couple of spacers positioned under the body I set the body the correct height above the bench. Now the floors have to be at the correct height and after checking that they were level with a depth gauge I ran a bead of glue around the joins and left it all for an hour or so.


The last two photos show the tram on it's trucks. The last photo shows how the pony wheels swings outside the body line on curves. A typical characteristic of these trams. There is sufficient clearance with the trucks to allow a radius of 6" to be used. Well within my requirements.


I still have some detail on the outside to complete plus all the roof detail. Fortunately I made a batch of trolley poles awhile back so that is one job out of the way. Then I can start on the interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment