Friday, January 29, 2010

Making some controllers in 7mm/ft Part 2

I decided it was going to be easier to make the controller handles in one long strip instead of trying to shape them individually as in the first photo.

I then cut them up and glued a short piece of rod on to represent the wooden knobs. The switch for cutting out a faulty motor was done with another short piece of rod as was the reversing levers. This was a mistake when I look at the finished controllers. The reversing levers would have been better done with a couple of pieces of flat section to closer represent the keys as they are basically flat anyway, reasonably thin where you grab them with your hand and broader where they connect to the controller.

I think I will sand the current ones off and do them properly but having just finished 14 controllers over the last two days I'm not full of enthusiasm to do that right now. I will have to correct two though so I can get back onto my droppie model.

The last photo shows them ass together on the bench. There is some variation which is normal when each one is made individually but as they will never be seen together I don't think is really matters.

I need some brake leavers as well so I hope to mass produce some of those as well. I think that they will have to be in brass so a visit to the hobby shop will be next on my agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment