Thursday, June 24, 2010

Scrubber Car No 15 in "O" scale part 1

I have managed to lay myself up with damage to my ribs for the last couple of weeks so no work has been done on the layout. But I have been able to sit in front of the computer so I decided to start work on a new model.

My choice of a scrubber car might seem a bit odd but I wanted a break from bogie cars and as I'm only building models that ran in the 1950-1969 period I have had to rule out all the old time 4 wheelers.

No 15 started life in 1898 as a Standard Combination Car, was converted to a scrubber car in 1932 and was "modernised" in 1947 into the car as seen in the attached photo. On the closure of the network in 1969 the car was transferred to the museum where it is today.


The photo shows the car in the mid 1960s. The wooden chassis of these original Standard Combination Cars were only 6" wide. When it was converted, the wider passenger body was removed, and the new body is only the width of the chassis. This makes it and it's sister (scrubber car No 14) the narrowest cars in the Brisbane fleet.

The central area between the bulkheads will conceal the Bull Ant motor and I will attempt to model the air cylinders, air compressor and lockers etc in the exposed areas. All together a neat little tram that shouldn't take too long to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment