Thursday, June 24, 2010

Scrubber Car No 15 in "O" scale part 2

I always found the layer method of construction a bit on the tedious side. Drawing all those overlaying pieces accurately one layer at a time. That all changed when I discovered CAD software and now I actually enjoy developing the parts for a model. Fortunately Brisbane trams were fairly angular and by drawing each overlay on a different layer and using large amounts of copy and paste the work goes quickly. The first two drawings are for most of the pieces with all the 1mm and 0,5mm pieces grouped together.



To transfer the details to the styrene, I have settled on printing them on to printer paper. To fix the paper to the styrene I spray the back with spray adhesive. When the shine goes off the adhesive I lay the sheet onto the styrene and press it down. Only one surface has been sprayed and the paper stays on long enough to cut the pieces out but comes off easily when I'm finished.


All went well and I spent the morning cutting all the pieces out as can be seen in the photo above.

The last photo shows the pieces after all the overlays have been glued together. It isn't very apparent in the last photo but the display boards complete with the full length hood for the lights are already in place on the sides. This display boards sit clear of the sides by about 2" on the prototype.

Everything has been set aside for a day for the glue to fully dry before I can start the assembly. So to keep busy I'm going to get on with recreating the Coca Cola ads for the model.

No comments:

Post a Comment