Sunday, September 20, 2009

Building a "O" scale Brisbane FM Part 10


Mounted the side frames to the Black Beetles today. I also fitted the plates to the floor for the trucks to be attached to. And as usual managed to make a mistake that required it to be redone.

Firstly I had chosen some styrene that was the same thickness as the height of the bearing surface on the truck. I did this because I felt the maximum thickness I could use would add extra strength. After all all the weight of the body is carried on these plates.

Secondly, I set the floor up to the correct height and shimmed and glued the the styrene plates in place but forgot the trucks were sitting on their flanges and not on their treads. Problem, I couldn't add a spacer under the floor to lift the body height. If I did I wouldn't be able to tighten up the locating screw on the trucks. The styrene was too thick. So it all had to be removed and redone.

The kit appears to have been set up for the wiring between the two trucks to run across the floor. I realise this may be the only option because of where the connections are made to the black beetles. But just in case I can get away with it I have put a sub-floor in below the centre section floor to carry the wires and keep them hidden. It will also add a bit more strength to the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment