Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Card model of No 400 in "O" scale part 2


The only photos I have so far is of all the pieces cut out of cardboard and the current photo of the model approximately half built. My card models are built using the overlay method with each layer slightly different where necessary so the end result is a three dimensional effect. Again, I'm not a rivet counter and if the model looks good from a metre away I am very happy. But I can't stand a poor performing model so I may make a few deviations from the prototype from time to time in the interests of reliability.

The model needs the seats, the roof steps and a few other small items fitted and then on to the painting. The roof steps will most likely be brass as I can't see any way of making them in card. Shellac has given the model the odd colour in the second photo. I use shellac a lot with card modelling. It softens the card so curves can be formed and I always use several coats of shellac to seal the surface before painting but a lot of care is needed while they are wet as they mark easily. The safety rail across the windows are made from brass wire and are sandwiched between the two side laminations.

No comments:

Post a Comment