Thursday, September 17, 2009

Building a "O" scale Brisbane FM Part 8


The roof steps supplied in the kit looked oversize so a quick check on several FMs at the museum was in order. The first photo is of the steps on FM N0 400 but all the steps appear to be exactly the same.

The actual size of the treads on all the trams were the same at 505mm x 120mm x 20mm. This works out considerably smaller than the ones that came with the kit. As they are a fairly fragile item and sit up there on top of the model I decided that rather than cut down the steps provided I would make completely new ones out of brass and solder it all together before placing it on the roof. They still came out a little heavier than I would have liked but I figured that when they were painted nobody will know.

With the steps in place it was time to try and finish the painting on the roof. I decided to airbrush the roof with acrylic paint so I masked off the sides and sprayed the roof with "Tamiya Mat Black" When dry I over sprayed the black with "Tamiya Deck Tan" The tan was only misted on and deliberately left uneven. The aim was to give the roof the appearance of a sun bleached black with a patchy coating of city dust and generally an untidy appearance.


The Black Beetle (powered and unpowered) have arrived so I shall be able to start on the floor. Not far to go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment