Saturday, September 5, 2009

Building a "O" scale Brisbane FM Part 5

A lot of work but their doesn't seem to be much to show for it. Both sides and ends are painted internally and all the seats are fitted.

I decided to go with the brown on brown for the interior to represent the condition of 494 when it left service in 1969. The lighter colour is supposed to represent the lighter polished wood that was used in the interior above the window sill. When it dried it turned out to not be not quite what I was hoping for but I will live with it. The seats are green to represent the dark green leather that was used on these trams. I used one of those silver felt tip pens to represent the chrome pipe frame across the top and down the side of the seats. The solid backs of the split level seats are in brown as was the original.

The floor has been cut out for the Black Beetle trucks but I am waiting for them to arrive from Steam Era Models before I finish and paint it.

Having glued in all the seats I realised I had created another problem for myself. I needed to file a gap between the seat and the wall for the nose piece to slide into. Now I will have to notch the edge of the nose piece to fit around the seat. As I have cut out the front doors this is going to weaken the whole thing until it is glued together. I shall have to procede with caution.

The prototype photo shows both the solid panel above the front seat and the glass panel wind break above this. These trams were very draughty because of the angle of the front and rear doors and the fact that the doors were never closed except when it was raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment