Saturday, October 3, 2009

Building a "O" scale Brisbane FM Part 12

I haven't posted for a few days so I better make an update.

The model now has all the decals and the destination and route numbers added. I had a problem with the ad decals settling down around the rivets on the side panels. I suspect this was because of the amount of colour in the ads. The Solverset couldn't get to the carrier film of the decal once the decal was in position. Using too much Solverset only caused the decals to curl along the edge. I was in panic mode for awhile thinking I was going to ruin the decal but it eventually settled down with the aid of a cotton wool bud and some careful pressure. I was reluctant to wet the model with Solverset first because of the size of the decal.

I don't thing the rivets do anything for the model anyway and they proved to be such a problem that next time I would remove them completely. Problem solved.

A little on the ads. They are supplied by Transit Classics and are reproductions of genuine ads from the 1960s. Some of the museum's trams that are in storage still have these ads on them. The reproduction is excellent and apart from my problem with the rivets I can't fault them. I chose the BIC and the Caltex Astron ads for this model. I notice that there is a light reflection on one of the Caltex ads from the flash. It's not a fault with the decal.

Now all I have to do is wait a day or two for the decals to dry before I over spray the sides with a clear gloss and the roof with a clear mat. Then I can start to fit the glazing in the windows and the headlights and the orange marker lights ..... and .....and!

No comments:

Post a Comment