Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Card model of No 400 in "O" scale part 3


There is very little to write about on the Transit Classics FM kit at the moment as I am up to the stage of applying the clear coats and I like to wait at least a week before applying masking tape to new paint. So I have started work again on my cardboard version of No 400.

The first photo shows some of the interior. Originally the floor at one end was quite close to the window sills to cater for a different brand of motorised truck. As I needed to order a set of Black Beetles for the Transit Classics model I decided to order a second set for this model. The Black Beetles will fit below the floor so, yesterday, I cut out my original floor and replaced it with one of the correct height. Quite a bit of fiddling was needed to smooth off the inside walls as my method of construction makes it difficult to get fingers inside.

I work on the theory that life is too short as it is and modelling anything that can't be seen when the model is on a track is just a waste of time. So under-body detail like air cylinders, brake detail, etc. is ignored. Cardboard can be very strong if care is taken and I like to make boxes where I can to give rigidity to the model. The second photo shows four of these boxes across the model in line with each set of doors. The blocks in line with the end doors are for the attachment of the lifeguards. Very little of the lifeguards are visible on a 12" to 1' version and I intend to only model what should be visible.

The roof is Balsa wood and sealed with many coats of shellac. I hold the roof in place with long brass rods that go down through the motorman's cabins and have a nut under the floor. My next step will be to undercoat the whole model and that will show up any flaws that need attention before the top coats are applied. Just waiting for the shellac to dry now.

No comments:

Post a Comment