Thursday, October 15, 2009

Building a "O" scale Brisbane FM Part 13



It's finished
Well almost. I just have to make and fit the lifeguards but that is a job for another time. I have two more FMs under construction and I will make all the lifeguards at the same time. So for now this model will be put aside waiting for me to get on with building a layout to run it on. That's the trouble with switching scales. No layout and precious few models in my new scale at the moment.

This kit has been worthwhile as it has enabled me to get an extra model quite quickly and of somewhat better quality than my usual scratch built versions.

A couple of problems. The problem of the decals not settling down around the rivits that I mentioned and in post No 12.

I fit the glazing last and the clear film is very hard to position when the model is assembled. There is very little room to get in to position it because the seats are in the way. There is insufficient room to get in and paint the sides with adhesive so I had to apply it to the film instead. I ruined a couple pieces of the film when they slid while I was trying to position them and they got smeared with glue. Also, as the seat back is level with the window sill it needs to be notched on the wall side so the window glazing can drop lower and be supported by the wall below the window sill.

I always intended to model the windows in the open position but got caught out as I needed to notch the film to fit around the seat tops and this made them to flexible especially with the weight of the glue on them. They were only 4mm wide and notched at every seat top and the length of 4 windows. So I modelled them closed. Next time I would notch the seat backs and glue a very light frame around the windows for the glazing to drop into.

I am very pleased with the kit. I has made up into an excellent model and one I am pleased to have. I would not consider this kit to be a beginner's model although anyone with a degree of patience who took it slowly and dry fitted everything before gluing should be able to produce a creditable model.

No comments:

Post a Comment