Saturday, October 24, 2009

A slight change in plan

As the title suggests things don't always go smoothly.

I was airbrushing the roof of No 400 the other day when my airbrush of 15+ years literally fell apart. It looks like years of tightening and un-tightening the air hose to the airbrush had taken it's toll and the chrome barrel that holds the air valve came loose from the main barrel of the airbrush. I always thought the main body was one piece but it appears these protrusions are a press fit into the main body. There was no sign of soldering or brazing evident.

The result was no airbrush and a badly splattered roof. I am in the process of sanding back the roof to have another go. This also seemed like a golden opportunity to obtain a new airbrush. Especially as my good wife decided she would shout me one as an early birthday present. So a bit of research on the net and a visit to my local hobby shop and I am now the proud owner of a new Paasche. On arriving home I found that it wont connect to my mini compressor. The hobby shop can't supply an adaptor so until I can chase one up this week I can't spray anything.

So for my change in plan. I have a dropcentre tram partly built so for something to do while I'm waiting for the adaptor I have been preparing some ads for the model. The photo of 356 by Richard Johnson shows a typical dropcentre with a full compliment of ads attached. On the dropcentres all the body ads were attached to thin boards which in turn were attached to the tram.

The ads were printed on low quality paper and were not expected to last more than a few weeks. The collection at the museum are now over 40 years old and are mainly in a poor state as one would expect. I have been using the computer to restore these to a standard suitable for use on my model. Two of the ads, the 4BC and Canberra TV ads can be seen on the photo of 356. 4BC was and is still a local radio station but Canberra Television, who would rent you a TV for $1 a week is no longer in business.

No comments:

Post a Comment