Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Card model of a Phoenix tram in "O" scale part 3

This was the first model I started to build when I decided to change scales. It has been sitting on the shelf for some time but now I'm finally about to finish it.

I was originally going to power all my models with the Australian made Bull Ant mech. These are beautifully made units but have a problem with height that I was prepared to live with. At least with the FM models. I needed to lift the floor at one end to almost window sill height for sufficient clearance. With the small windows making it difficult to see into the cabin and after fitting seats with very short backs it has came out looking quite reasonable. I am now using the Black Beetle mechs because they will fit under the floor.

What to use at the other end? Being a long time scratch builder and having built quite a few chassis, a home made unit was the obvious choice. I like to use pinpoint axles because of their low friction and as the body only weighs 100 grams that wasn't going to be a problem. I cut a pair of Jackson 14mm wheel sets in half and stretched the gauge to 32mm by gluing the then stub axles into a brass tube. Jackson top hat bearings in a brass chassis and some pickup springs made from phosphor bronze wire finished the job.

I have found the best way to test a chassis is to let it run down a smooth plank. It should run as straight as possible and not curve. It shouldn't crab sideways either and the rear wheels must be directly behind the front wheels. That last one might sound a bit silly but with a bit of sideways slop in the bearings and if you set it up with uneven tension on the pickup springs it is easy to have the wheels offset from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment